How Bites Works
Part 1. What Foodies Need To Know
Part 2. What Cooks Need To Know
Part 3. FAQs for Foodies & Cooks
Part 1 - What Foodies Need To Know
You may select from meal prep services, drop-off meals, in-home dining experiences, or interactive classroom lunches.
1. Search for a cook of any skill level, from amateur to professional.
2. Use the Filter button at the top of the Find a Cook screen to refine your search.
3. Check out cook profiles by tapping on them.
4. Tap on "Begin Your Request" to begin collaborating with a cook on a tentative menu. You are not committing to a specific menu or reserving the cook's services by taking this step.
5. Tap on "Request Changes" at the bottom of the menu in order to request that the cook make changes to the menu. You must tap on "Request Changes" each time you want the cook to make additional changes to the menu. Go back and forth on changes until you're happy with the final menu.
6. Order the cook's services and menu with a credit card in the app. The total bill associated with the menu will cover the cost of all ingredients and services provided by the cook. You won't be paying anything beyond this amount.
7. Message the cook through the app with questions.
8. If you've ordered a drop-off meal or meal prep services, the cook will drop off your order within the 45-minute window that you and the cook coordinate for the requested date.
9. If you've reserved the cook's services for in-home dining, the cook will show up at your home or other designated location (including the office) at the reserved time with all cooking gear & ingredients to prep and cook for you and your guests. The cook cleans up their work area before leaving.
10. If you've reserved the cook's services for an interactive classroom lunch for your students, the cook will show up at your classroom at the reserved time with all cooking gear and & ingredients to prep and cook for your students. The cook cleans up their work area before leaving.
11. There's no tax, no tip, no service charge and it’s BYOB.
For specific questions, see Part 3 - FAQs below.
Part 2 - What Cooks Need To Know
Bites provides cooks of all skill levels with fun cooking gigs - you can offer meal prep services, drop-off meals, in-home dining experiences, and interactive classroom lunches.
1. Create a cook profile to offer one or more of the following: meal prep services, drop-off meals, in-home dining experiences, and interactive classroom lunches. As you create your profile, you'll see tiny information icons that you can tap on for guidance as you complete your profile.
2. Foodies will check out your profile, read your bio, see where you buy ingredients and what services you offer.
3. Foodies will request a tentative menu from you related to one of your offerings.
4. You'll respond to the foodie's request by providing them with an initial menu. The menu creation process is collaborative. The foodie must tap on "Request Changes" at the bottom of the menu on their side before you can revise the menu on your side. The foodie must do this each time they want you to make changes to the menu. You may go back and forth a few times on revising the menu until it's finalized.
5. The foodie will place an order for meal prep services, drop-off meals, in-home dining, or an interactive classroom lunch through the app.
6. If the foodie has ordered meal prep services or a drop-off meal, you'll coordinate with the foodie as to the 45-minute window within which you will drop off their order that day.
7. If the foodie has requested an in-home dining experience, you'll show up at the foodie's home or other designated location (including the office) at the reserved time with your cooking gear & ingredients. You'll prep, cook, plate the food, and clean up your work area before leaving.
8. If the foodie is a school teacher who has requested an interactive classroom lunch for her students, you'll show up at the classroom at the reserved time with your cooking gear & ingredients. You'll prep, cook, plate the food, and clean up your work area before leaving.
9. After you've completed an order, the foodie will rate & review your services on the app.
10. The total menu price you set is the total amount the foodie will pay for the order. In either case, it covers the full cost of your services and ingredients. The foodie will not be paying anything beyond this amount. IMPORTANT PAYMENT INFORMATION contained in Part 3 - FAQs below - see: How do cooks get paid & how much?
For specific questions, see Part 3 - FAQs below.
Part 3 - FAQs for Foodies & Cooks
Are cooks required to comply with all food safety guidelines?
Yes. All cooks have a valid, current food handler card or food manager certificate on file with us. Additionally, they are required to comply with all applicable food safety guidelines, including washing their hands often and wearing a mask as appropriate.
How does a Drop-Off Meal work?
You'll use Bites to find a cook nearby. You'll check out the cook's profile and collaborate on a menu with the cook. After you've created a menu you're happy with, you'll place an order with them for a dropped-off meal. The cook will provide all ingredients and prep and cook the meal(s) for you from a licensed commercial kitchen or other health-department-approved-and-inspected kitchen. The cook will package the cooked meal(s) in food safe disposable containers and deliver the meal(s) to you within a 45-minute timeframe coordinated between you and the cook for the requested date. You will provide your own dishes, silverware, napkins and beverages.
How do Meal Prep Services work?
You'll use Bites to find a cook nearby. You'll check out the cook's profile and collaborate on a menu with the cook. After you've created a menu you're happy with, you'll place an order with them for meal prep services. You'll collaborate on the menu for meal prep services with the cook. Once you've placed your order through Bites, the cook will provide all ingredients and prep the meal(s) for you from a licensed commercial kitchen or other health-department-approved-and-inspected kitchen. The cook will package the prepped meal(s) (these will be uncooked or only partially cooked) in food safe disposable containers and deliver the prepped meal(s) to you within a 45-minute timeframe coordinated between you and the cook for the requested date. The cook will include all necessary instructions for you in proper refrigeration/freezing and cooking of the prepped meal(s), including cooking temperatures, cooking method, and cooking times. You will provide your own dishes, silverware, napkins and beverages.
How does In-Home Dining work?
You'll use Bites to find a cook nearby. You'll check out the cook's profile and collaborate on a dining menu with the cook. After you've created a menu you're happy with, you'll place your order through Bites. The cook will show up at your home or other designated location (including the office), bringing along all necessary ingredients and cooking gear to prep, cook, and plate a complete meal for you and your guests. The cook will plate each dish or course one time for foodie and foodie's guests using the dishware and serving ware provided by foodie. Beyond that, the cook will not function as a food server or clear the table between courses. From the time the cook arrives at foodie's home, the cook will have up to 4 hours within which to set up, prep food, cook, serve, and clean up. The foodie and cook can mutually adjust this length of time if they so choose. The foodie will provide all dishware, serving dishes, stemware, glassware, cutlery, silverware, other utensils, napkins, linens and any decorative items. The cook will perform all cleanup related to food preparation and cooking, using cleaning materials/products provided by you. The cook will not perform any kitchen cleanup beyond that. The cook will discard of all trash, compostables, and recyclables associated with food prep into those receptacles that the foodie provides in foodie's kitchen. Beyond that, the foodie removes the trash associated with the dining event.
What kinds of cooks participate on Bites?
Cooks of all skill levels, from amateur to professional, can create a cooking profile on Bites. We welcome home cooks, student cooks (university & college students, culinary students), *professional cooks, and cooks representing independent eateries. We believe in supporting individuals with a passion for cooking, regardless of skill level. We also believe in giving visibility and support to independent eateries that lend authentic character to our cities. *Note: The category "professional cooks" includes all skill levels of restaurant cooks, top chefs, caterers, commercial cooks, personal chefs, and food truck cooks. All cooks indicate their actual experience in their profile bios.
What is meant by "no tip, no tax, and it's BYOB"?
We want farm-to-table experiences to be accessible to foodies of all socio-economic levels. For this reason, foodies don't pay any tip or tax, and they provide their own beverages (BYOB), alcoholic or otherwise.
Is there a service charge paid by foodie in placing an order or reservation through Bites?
No, there is no service charge paid by foodies in using our app.
Are foodies required to tip cooks?
No. Foodies are paying upfront the full amount of what the order is going to cost them. The full amount paid by the foodie (total menu price) includes the cook’s complete services and all ingredients.
How do foodies rate & review the cook?
After the cook provides the requested services, the foodie can go back into the Bites app to rate and review the cook. We highly encourage foodies to rate and review cooks so that other foodies get a better sense of what they might experience with that cook. Foodies can upload any related food and dining pictures to their reviews.
Does the foodie get a refund if the foodie cancels the order?
We issue partial and full refunds on cancelled orders only as follows: If foodie cancels the order within the first 24 hours of having placed the order, the foodie will always receive a full refund. Outside of this initial 24 hour window, if foodie cancels the order 5 or more days in advance, foodie will get a 50% refund; if foodie cancels the order 4 or fewer days in advance, the foodie does not receive any refund.
Does the foodie get a refund if the cook cancels the order?
If the cook cancels the order at any point in time, the foodie will get a 100% refund. Foodie will not be entitled to any payment or other compensation beyond a full refund, even if foodie incurred additional expenses and costs in preparation for and in reliance on the upcoming order and even if cook was aware of this.
Does the cook still get paid if the foodie cancelled the order?
If the foodie cancels the order 5 or more days in advance, cook will receive 50% of the amount that cook would have otherwise received if the foodie had not cancelled the order and if cook had fulfilled the order. If the foodie cancels the order 4 or fewer days in advance, the cook will receive 100% of the amount cook would have otherwise received if cook had fulfilled the order. Having said this, the foodie may always cancel the order within the first 24 hours of having placed the order and in such instance the foodie will always get a 100% refund and cook will not receive payment for such cancelled order.
Are participating cooks employed by or insured by Bites?
No. Cooks participating on Bites are not employees or agents of Bites or Warehouse Apps, nor are they insured by Bites or Warehouse Apps. Cooks are all independent contractors who represent themselves and work for themselves. They are required to have a valid and current food handler's card or food manager's certificate uploaded to their account when they create a cooking profile to indicate to us that they understand and will adhere to safe food handling practices. Beyond this, cooks are individually responsible for and encouraged to secure and maintain insurance in adequate amounts and in accordance with coverages that are appropriate to them providing their various offerings to foodies.
What are Interactive Classroom Lunches?
Cooks may offer Interactive Classroom Lunches to students in private & charter schools, grades K-12. Teachers at these schools can reserve the services of cooks interested in coming into their classroom to collaboratively put together a lunch experience with their students. If a cook's services are requested by a teacher for one of these interactive lunches, then the cook will take their cooking gear, along with all ingredients, into the classroom, and perform an interactive lunch with the students. Teachers will provide all plates, utensils, napkins, cups and beverages. Cooks will seek to provide a lunch experience that is enjoyable, interactive, and educational.
How do cooks get paid & how much?
Within 36 hours after the cook fulfills an order, all associated payments due to cook for that order will be deposited to cook's connected Stripe account. From there, it generally takes Stripe 5 business days to deposit funds into cook's connected bank account. Cooks get paid 80% of the total bill (i.e,, 80% of the total menu price) for the services they perform. Stripe takes approx 3% for processing the credit card transaction, and the remaining approx 17% goes to Warehouse Apps, creator of Bites. For purposes of illustration only, if the total dining bill (total menu price) is $100, then $80 will be paid to cook, $3 (approx) will be paid to Stripe, and $17 (approx) will be paid to Warehouse Apps.
Why should cooks care about getting ratings & reviews?
Cooks with more ratings & reviews will always filter up in search results ahead of other cooks. Only if a foodie pays for the order through Bites will the foodie be able to rate & review the cook and post food and dining pics. As more cooks participate on Bites, ratings & reviews will gain more in importance.
Are cooks required to source their ingredients locally?
Cooks are highly encouraged to source their ingredients locally. We encourage cooks to source ingredients from urban farms, micro farms, co-ops, backyard gardens, community gardens, organic and family-owned small growers. We believe that encouragement on our end and transparency on the cook’s end in terms of where cooks source from is the best starting point to getting more cooks to source ingredients locally. As we grow, we intend to make significant improvements to this system, for the benefit of foodies, cooks, and the growers themselves.
What are some ideas for dining experiences with Bites cooks?
Dinner party with friends or neighbors, office lunch, romantic date night, themed dinner party, university dorm communal dinner, Sunday brunch, birthday celebration, anniversary dinner, office holiday party, sweet sixteen party, graduation dinner, poker night, movie night, bachelorette party, bridal shower, baby shower, engagement party, masquerade party, luncheon, cocktail party, wine tasting party, Spanish tapas party, garden party, valentines dinner, holiday party, office party, supper club, cultural dinners, poetry-themed dinners, interactive classroom lunches for kids, office team building experience, family weeknight meals, farm dinner, summer pool party, or family reunion.
We're sure there are many more ideas for dining experiences with Bites cooks & chefs. You'll want the experience level and interests of the cook to match what you have in mind, so chat with the cook through the Bites app to learn more about their style and how they can meet your expectations. For foodies who have a cult-like following with a particular favorite independent eatery in town, you may want to consider having that eatery send one of its cooks to your home to prepare on-menu or off-menu items for you. This way, your favorite dining spot in town comes to you for a personalized experience in the intimacy of your own home.
Can I be both a foodie and a cook on Bites?
Yes, you can experience Bites both as a foodie and as a cook. Alternatively, you can choose to simply be one or the other, and create the appropriate profile. It's up to you.
Are there limits on how many times cooks can cancel paid orders?
We understand that emergencies may come up for cooks. For that reason, cooks are allowed one cancelled order within any consecutive 6 month period. If the cook cancels two orders within any consecutive 6 month period, cook may be deemed an unreliable cook, at the sole discretion of Bites, and cook's profile may be automatically deleted from Bites.
How do cooks handle their taxes associated with services they offer through Bites?
If a cook received $600 or more in a calendar year for the services the cook performed through the Bites app, then by end of January of the following calendar year, the cook will receive a Form 1099 Misc. We advise that cooks consult a tax professional with any questions regarding their taxes.
How can I get a food handler card or food manager certificate?
Do a search online for “food handler card” or “food manager certificate” and reference your state (i.e., Arizona). You will see results for providers of food handler cards and food manager certificates. In order to get either of these, you’ll need to take a short online test with one of these providers (the food handler card test is easier, faster, and costs less) to measure your understanding of safe food handling practices. Once you’ve taken either test and received either a food handler card or food manager certificate, you will upload a picture of either document to your cooking profile on Bites and enter the expiration date. We'll validate this on our end. We make sure that all uploaded food handler cards or food manager certificates remain current. Cooks whose cards or certificates become expired will have their profile hidden from search results until they upload a current, valid card or certificate.
If cook is not comfortable going to foodie’s home alone, can cook bring someone along?
Yes, cooks can take a helper or sous chef with them, if they'd like. So long as the person the cook is bringing along is assisting the cook in some way, whether with food prep, cooking, plating, or cleanup, it’s fine.
How do cooks get in contact with Stripe regarding their connected payment account?
Cooks can contact Stripe several ways: through email, chat, or a phone call. Go to their website: to get in touch with them directly in any of these ways.
How can I find Bites online and on social media?
You can visit our website at and follow us on Instagram: @bites.app